Motorcycle driving license
Driving a motorcycle is a special task. Therefore, you need driving license Class A1, A2 or A to drive a motorcycle. You may not drive a motorcycle with a car driving license.
- Category A1 entitles you to drive light motorcycles
- Category A2 is for medium-sized motorcycles
- Category A is for the largest motorcycles.
- The age limit for category A1 is 16, and for category A2 it is 18. The age limit for category A is 24 if the driving licence is being applied for through a driving examination as the applicant’s first motorcycle category.
- Motorcycle driving instruction includes at least 5 hours of drivinginstruction.
- In addition, you must complete a 4-hour Training for candidates for first driving licences (EAS) unless you already have a driving licence for some other motor vehicle, such as a tractor or moped.
- The driving examination comprises a theory and driving test. At the beginning of the driving test, a handling test is carried out. To take the handling test, you must have passed the theory test.
- You may participate in the tests as follows:
- Category A1: you may take the theory test one month before you turn 16 and you may take the driving test and receive a driving licence once you are 16.
- Category A2: you may take the theory test one month before you turn 18 and you may take the driving test and receive a driving licence once you are 18.
- Category A: you may take the theory test one month before you turn 24 and you may take the driving test and receive a driving licence once you are 24.
You can read more at: